[Mimedefang] What hardware are you running?

Cahya Wirawan cwirawan at email.archlab.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Sep 3 17:56:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 11:03:31AM -0400, Shepet, Mike wrote:
> We have two sendmail servers running Solaris acting as our relays for an
> internal MS Exchange environment.  Both boxes are Sun Ultra2s with over 1GB
> of memory, one has two 296MHz cpus while the other is single cpu.  In your
> experience, would this hardware be sufficient to add MIMEDefang +
> SpamAssassin to the mix?  After testing, we found that 15 concurrent slaves
> yielded a five minute load average of 17-20 on the dual cpu box.  Even
> though it was responsive at the command prompt, does that sound a bit high?
> Lowering the maximum number slaves produced a lot more of the "no free
> slaves, try again later" errors.  We average 35-40K emails a day between the
> two of them.
>
> Mike Shepet

I use 2X2.4 GHz P4, 1G Ram, gentoo linux, sendmail+mimedefang+spamassassin+
kaspersky , mimedefang slaves: min=20 max=40, and about 20k emails/day
(+10k sobig/day since 2 weeks) .
My 15 minutes load avg during work hour is maximal about 0.1 , so if you
get load avg of 17-20, it means there is something wrong with your hardware/
software configuration. or maybe my gentoo is just very fast :)

cahya