[Mimedefang] What hardware are you running?

Stephen L Johnson stephen.johnson at mail.state.ar.us
Wed Sep 3 18:10:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 16:55, Cahya Wirawan wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 11:03:31AM -0400, Shepet, Mike wrote:
> > We have two sendmail servers running Solaris acting as our relays for an
> > internal MS Exchange environment.  Both boxes are Sun Ultra2s with over 1GB
> > of memory, one has two 296MHz cpus while the other is single cpu.  In your
> > experience, would this hardware be sufficient to add MIMEDefang +
> > SpamAssassin to the mix?  After testing, we found that 15 concurrent slaves
> > yielded a five minute load average of 17-20 on the dual cpu box.  Even
> > though it was responsive at the command prompt, does that sound a bit high?
> > Lowering the maximum number slaves produced a lot more of the "no free
> > slaves, try again later" errors.  We average 35-40K emails a day between the
> > two of them.
> >
> > Mike Shepet
>
> I use 2X2.4 GHz P4, 1G Ram, gentoo linux, sendmail+mimedefang+spamassassin+
> kaspersky , mimedefang slaves: min=20 max=40, and about 20k emails/day
> (+10k sobig/day since 2 weeks) .
> My 15 minutes load avg during work hour is maximal about 0.1 , so if you
> get load avg of 17-20, it means there is something wrong with your hardware/
> software configuration. or maybe my gentoo is just very fast :)

My hardware is Dual 800MHz P3, 512MB RAM, sendmail 8.9.12, minedefang
2.35, SpamAssassin 2.55, ClamAV 0.6. slaves min 10, max 15. It handles
30,000 - 35,000 incoming e-mails a day, with a load avg hovering around
1 during peak time. But that most of that may be the tail -f and
watch-mimedefang programs I keep going to monitor the server. (It's a
test server. I'm learning the in and out of Miltersm , MD and SA.)

Stephen L Johnson                       stephen.johnson at mail.state.ar.us
Unix Systems Administrator              sjohnson at monsters.org
Department of Information Systems
State of Arkansas