[Mimedefang] What hardware are you running?

Ole Craig olc at cs.umass.edu
Wed Sep 3 09:45:01 EDT 2003

intel 2x933Piii, 2G RAM
/var/spool/* on LVM partitions that sit on top of a scsi U160
	RAID5 array (mylex AcceleRaid 352)

	This system is our main workhorse; it runs
sendmail+mimedefang+clamAV+spamassassin (with network tests enabled
for mail with offsite origin) and handles 25K+ emails per day. Same
system is also running Majordomo/MajorCool, Horde/IMP, GraphDefang,
OpenLDAP, central print spooling, NFS services, Netatalk, Samba, and
tends to average between 30 and 40 remote user logins at any given
time (most of them running terminal-based mailclients.) MIMEdefang

	Load average occasionally breaks out of the sub-1.0 level, and
can usually make it up to 10 or 12 before any slowdown is noticeable
at the interactive level.

	Recently the campus-wide network services folks had to shut
down much of their mail functionality because SoBig was pissing all
over their servers. (Their first reaction was to limit all emails to
100k or less.) They sent out a broadcast email about it, which
prompted my users to ask "Gee, I hadn't noticed any problems, are we
affected?" I grinned and pointed them at Graphdefang -- which showed
us handling SoBig and friends to the tune of 12000/day -- and said,
"Nope, we've got it covered."

	On a related note...

	To David Skoll, John Kirkland, Nigel Home, Tomasz Kojm, and
the main spamassassin devel team: Should you ever find yourself in my
vicinity, consider yourself entitled to a beer/latte/CHOICE($BEVERAGE)
on me. Thanks.

		Ole
--
Ole Craig * UNIX, linux, SMTP-ninja; news, web; SGI martyr * CS Computing
Facility, UMass * <www.cs.umass.edu/~olc/pgppubkey.txt> for public key