[Mimedefang] LOTS of mail being tagged wrong

Sevo Stille sevo at radiox.de
Fri Oct 17 19:13:42 EDT 2003

Håkon Nilsen (Exinet AS) wrote:

> I just added new domain relaying through my mailserver. The users are ship
> brokers, and receive a _lot_ of mail from around the world. The problem is
> that lots and lots of the mails are tagged as spam.

That is the core problem with server side Bayes filters - they work best
on a individual users mail, or with groups with common habits. Adding
new users with a set of different communication partners, languages and
habits may put your database off the track.

> Bayes tages it worth 5.4 points. My limit is 5. How does Byes tag it this
> much? What should I do to solve the issue?

The easy way would be to let the mail through, spam-tagged, and let your
users collect and report all mistagged mail, to retrain the filter on
them - after a while, the filter should adjust. If you need a more rapid
and complete solution, trash your current Bayes database, and get your
users to collect two sets of mails that are positively spam or ham. And
train a new database on these mailbox folders.

Sevo

--
Sevo Stille
sevo at radiox.de