[Mimedefang] cound not create directory /var/mdefang-nnnnnnnn-0

Guy Chapman guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Fri Oct 17 18:57:13 EDT 2003

Hi folks.

I have installed MIMEDefang according to the INSTALL etc. (well, I think so, anyway) and am getting the usual 451 4.7.1 error.  I see from /var/spool/maillog that the problem is apparently:

Oct 17 23:24:12 <hostname> mimedefang[2811]: h9HMNnfU002810: Could not create directory /var/mdefang-3F906C0C-0: Permission
denied

Not a surprise, obviously, as it's trying to use /var instead of /var/spool/MIMEDefang - and of course if I open the permissions on /var then sendmail will bleat.

I ran configure with options as follows:

/configure --sysconfdir=/etc --with-confsubdir=mail --with-spooldir=/var/spool/MIMEDefang --with-quarantinedir=/var/spool/MD-Quarantine --with-user=defang

all of which are as per the instructions (from peregrinehw.com).

I have reviewed /etc/init.d/mimedefang etc., and the spool dir would appear to be correct there (/var/spool/MIMEDefang).  The .sock and .pid files are created in /var/spool/MIMEDefang/ as expected, except for mimedefang-multiplexor.pid which is missing (if it should exist).  Is that right?

I am sure this setting is in one of the configuration files somewhere, but I can't seem to find which one.  What can I say?  It's late and I'm new to this stuff.  Any assistance gratefully received.

RedHat 8.0
kernel 2.4.20-20.8
sendmail 8.12.8-9.80
SpamAssassin 2.60-3