[Mimedefang] [Off-Topic] Graphical environment for servers (wasRe: [Mimedefang] Can't locate Unix/Syslog.pm)

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Sat May 31 02:54:01 EDT 2003

> That said my prefered GUI on my desktop is OS X with a half dozen SSH
> terms opened to my various servers.  The only way I'd run a GUI on a
> server nowadays is if I ran OS X Server.  Even then it would be headless.
>
> GUIs on servers...  That's like putting an air conditioner on a
> motorcycle...
>
> Justin

Ignoreing my other statement for a second, this is exactly how I manage my
systems. X just adds one more vulnerability to a system. I've found that
my really stable systems, the ones that are shooting 260-380 days of
uptime  seem be be so reliable  because, they have no X.
I am also careful in not changing anything unless absolutelly required.
--Luke