[Mimedefang] [Off-Topic] Graphical environment for servers (wasRe: [Mimedefang] Can't locate Unix/Syslog.pm)

Paul freebsd at pksnet.com
Wed May 28 16:51:02 EDT 2003

>I use Mandrake on the desktop and love it, and use Redhat on servers (and
>like it).  Although i'm running Gentoo (on the xbox) and it's showing
>promise as my next desktop.  Emerge is awesome... i used to run freebsd
>and ports was one of my favorite things about it (that and it is fast as
>hell).

I used mandrake a while back but after it corrupted windows partition on 2 system I had it installed on (It was sharing a HD with Win98) I turned away from it. It was nice from a user standpoint. My wife actually was able to install Mandrake on her computer 95% by herself. Something she was not able to do with Win98. Says something for the Mandrake installer.

I do like SuSe as it appears very stable. But being a FreeBSD junkie, that is still my OS of choice for my servers. It is so easy to install and ports are so painless.
Gentoo sounds interesting though. As soon as I get my laptop fixed, it may lose Suse to gentoo.