[Mimedefang] Notifying virus recipients

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Fri May 16 04:54:01 EDT 2003

On Fri, May 16, 2003, listuser at numbnuts.net wrote:

> > (Has anyone here tried to do per-recipient configurable checks?
> > Thats my basic goal here.)
>
> One thing you might consider is forcing your users to use IMAP.  Then you
> could use Procmail to automatically dump these warnings into a special
> folder for each users, much like what many people do with spam (dumping it
> into a seperaet folder automatically).  The users could access it via IMAP
> or Webmail.  This way they still get the warnings so the boss is happy but
> in reality they could simply ignore them (at their own risk of course).
> You've solved the problem from your end.  You can't force them to read the
> warnings anyhow.  Might as well through some organization into the mix and
> pre-sort some of their mail for them.  You could even justify the
> pre-sorting to the boss by saying that you can automatically fix it so
> that all his mail gets the highest priority header (not that people
> bother to look at that anymore...). ;-)

This is fine for refiling spam/virii into alternate folders.
But we don't _need_ to - some of our clients on larger links
would like the mail simply tagged.

The configuration is in an SQL database - I've got some stuff to
periodically dump the relevant configuration into a DB file which
I can then deal with in Perl. If I use mimedefang I don't need
to hack up any "modify config files in homedirs every few minutes"
scripts.

The alternative is to use procmail w/ spamc and a virus scanner.
I think I could hack up a wrapper that only passes the mail through
spamc/virus scanner if they're in a DB file but I thought I'd give
mimedefang a run first. :)

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"It shouldn't take an hour and a half for
<adrian at creative.net.au>	  "any woman to take a bath."