[Mimedefang] Notifying virus recipients

listuser at numbnuts.net listuser at numbnuts.net
Fri May 16 04:33:00 EDT 2003

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> On Fri, May 16, 2003, alan premselaar wrote:
>
> > notifications to non-existant email addresses (also used by viruses as the
> > sender) that your mail server will waste resources in attempting to send the
> > mail, having it fail, queueing it to try again (lather, rinse, repeat)
> >
> > if you get enough of these types of viruses, it could get pretty messy.
> >
> > at my offices, all postmaster mail has to be forwarded to an actual user
> > (policy) ... that user is me. i got really tired of having masses of "mail
> > could not be sent" return messages from the mail server because of trying to
> > send to invalid email addresses. (we were sending notifications to senders
> > of certain file types included in the mail.  that has now since stopped)
>
> .. ah, good. Thats what I needed to send to him.
> That fixes the notification issue.
>
> Now, just need to get a handle on an atomic operation set including
> filter_recipients() and I'll be happy.
>
> (Has anyone here tried to do per-recipient configurable checks?
> Thats my basic goal here.)

One thing you might consider is forcing your users to use IMAP.  Then you
could use Procmail to automatically dump these warnings into a special
folder for each users, much like what many people do with spam (dumping it
into a seperaet folder automatically).  The users could access it via IMAP
or Webmail.  This way they still get the warnings so the boss is happy but
in reality they could simply ignore them (at their own risk of course).
You've solved the problem from your end.  You can't force them to read the
warnings anyhow.  Might as well through some organization into the mix and
pre-sort some of their mail for them.  You could even justify the
pre-sorting to the boss by saying that you can automatically fix it so
that all his mail gets the highest priority header (not that people
bother to look at that anymore...). ;-)

Justin