[Mimedefang] Notifying virus recipients

Steffen Kaiser skmimedefang at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Fri May 16 08:29:01 EDT 2003

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> On Fri, May 16, 2003, listuser at numbnuts.net wrote:
>
> > > (Has anyone here tried to do per-recipient configurable checks?
> > > Thats my basic goal here.)
> >
> The configuration is in an SQL database - I've got some stuff to
> periodically dump the relevant configuration into a DB file which
> I can then deal with in Perl. If I use mimedefang I don't need

Huh? Is this a MS SQL Server that you cannot find a working Perl module?

> to hack up any "modify config files in homedirs every few minutes"
> scripts.

Anyway, what do you want to achieve?
The main problem of user-specific filtering is, what are you doing, if the
recipients of a mail fall into more than one class of filtering, e.g.
one with, the other one without SPAM test.

You'll need to implement a stream_by_class function (like
stream_by_domain, but you specify the way you want to break up the
recipients yourself), so you have a clean state (hence, all recpipients
fall into the same filtering class).
Or you use stream_by_recipient, with all the performance implications
already stated on this list.

And if you do filtering at all, why don't you check the @Recipients in
filter_begin?

Or you can keep your persistent information in your SQL database using
$MsgID as the primary key, cmp. the quote from man mimedefang-filter:

       $MsgID Set to $QueueID if the queue ID could be determined;
otherwise, set to $MessageID.  This identi­
              fier  should  be used in logging, because it matches the
identifier used by Sendmail to log mes­
              sages.  Note that this variable  is  set  correctly  in
filter_relay,  filter_sender  and  fil­
              ter_recipient.

Bye,

--