Negative scores (was Re: [Mimedefang] scores displayed in $tests)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed May 7 10:35:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, 7 May 2003, alan premselaar wrote:

> i'm using MD 2.33 and SA 2.53 currently and recently
> some SPAM has been getting thru the filter with low scores, but i'm not sure
> if they're matching negative scores or not.

I recommend replacing almost all negative-score rules with zero weights.
Widely-known negative-score rules are just an invitation for spammers to
get around SpamAssassin.  I use a 90_local.cf file like the one appended.

(Of course, I use CanIt, whose architecture is relatively tolerant of
false-positives.  This might not work in installations that discard mail
scoring 5 or more.)

# Modified scores from Roaring Penguin -- we remove most negative-weight
# scores, because these rules can be (and are being) exploited by spammers.
score APPROVED_BY 0
score BUGZILLA_BUG 0
score CRON_ENV 0
score DEBIAN_BTS_BUG 0