Negative scores (was Re: [Mimedefang] scores displayed in $tests)

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Wed May 7 11:28:01 EDT 2003

On 7 May 2003 at 10:34, David F. Skoll wrote:

> On Wed, 7 May 2003, alan premselaar wrote:
>
> > i'm using MD 2.33 and SA 2.53 currently and recently
> > some SPAM has been getting thru the filter with low scores, but i'm not sure
> > if they're matching negative scores or not.
>
> I recommend replacing almost all negative-score rules with zero weights.
> Widely-known negative-score rules are just an invitation for spammers to
> get around SpamAssassin.  I use a 90_local.cf file like the one appended.

This is a much-discussed issue on the sa-talk (probably the single
most FAQ) and will be addressed in the imminent 2.54 release.  There
have been a few spammers taking advantage of some of the negative
rules by faking multiple MUA lines, for example.

Attached are two patches from the sa-talk list.  One of them reduces
the magnitude of the negative rules in 50_scores.cf (though not to
zero), and the other adds some meta rules which check for faked
multiple MUA headers and the like.

----
Nels Lindquist <*>
Information Systems Manager