[Mimedefang] Re: Mimedefang daemons won't stop

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Wed Mar 26 07:58:01 EST 2003

Michael Sims wrote:
> I had this same problem when I first installed MIMEDefang 2.30.  I used the
> init script that was in the 2.30 src tarball in the file
> examples/init-script, and I would have the same problem you describe with 3
> processes always left over that had to be killed manually.
>
> When I upgraded to MIMEDefang 2.31, I replaced the init script with the one
> that is in redhat/mimedefang-init instead of examples/init-script.  When I
> did this, it fixed the problem with the left-over processes.  I didn't have
> the time to bother to look into it and see what was wrong with the initial
> script.  Since the new script was working I didn't worry too much about it.

OK, so I copied redhat/mimedefang-init to /etc/rc.d/init.d/mimedefang
and did a start then stop of the Mimedefang daemons.  An error is returned:

# /etc/rc.d/init.d/mimedefang stop
Shutting down mimedefang:                                  [  OK  ]
Shutting down mimedefang-multiplexor:                      [FAILED]

This is the killproc function in /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
returning an error.

The usual 3 processes are left behind:

defang   21583  0.0  0.1  1612  720 ?        S    13:44   0:00 [mimedefang-mult]
defang   21585  1.0  2.7 18368 13876 ?       S    13:44   0:00 /usr/bin/perl -w
/usr/local/bin/mimedefang.pl -server
defang   21604  1.0  2.7 18372 13880 ?       S    13:44   0:00 /usr/bin/perl -w
/usr/local/bin/mimedefang.pl -server

It seems that the redhat init-script is no better than the generic script :-(

Ole Holm Nielsen
Department of Physics
Technical University of Denmark