[Mimedefang] Re: Mimedefang daemons won't stop

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Wed Mar 26 08:45:00 EST 2003

Looking at the scripts in the redhat/ directory, I'm trying to
create the content of a redhat/README file.  Here's what I
propose for a start:

redhat/README
-------------

1. Copy the mimedefang script to /etc/rc.d/init.d:
    cp mimedefang-init /etc/rc.d/init.d/mimedefang

2. Copy the running parameters to /etc/sysconfig:
    cp mimedefang-sysconfig /etc/sysconfig/mimedefang

3. Add runlevel configuration for mimedefang:
    chkconfig --add mimedefang
    Verify the configuration:
    chkconfig --list mimedefang

4. The runlevel configuration ensures that mimedefang is
    started just before sendmail, and stopped just after sendmail
    (look for lines with "chkconfig" in the sendmail and mimedefang
    init-scripts).  Details are in the manual-page chkconfig(8).

5. Referring to The MIMEDefang Howto section 3 (Install sendmail)
       http://www.rudolphtire.com/mimedefang-howto/
    you should *not* start mimedefang within the sendmail
    init-script, since this is taken care of by the above
    configurations.

TO DO:  Figure out how to make /etc/rc.d/init.d/mimedefang
reliably stop the mimedefang-multiplexor daemons.  At present,
you must manually kill 3 mimedefang daemons afterwards.

I hope that a suitable README file will eventually become part
of the Mimedefang distribution.

Ole Holm Nielsen
Department of Physics
Technical University of Denmark