[Mimedefang] newbie question: are all the rules hardcoded?

Kris Deugau kdeugau at webhart.net
Mon Mar 10 15:25:01 EST 2003

Eric Wood wrote:
> I have a fully patched RH 7.3 server.  I've noticed the rather exhaustive
> installation howto for MD - mainly all the perl.  My RH7.3 runs sendmail
> 8.11.x and MD requires 8.12.
>
> 1. Does anyone have the sendmail and perl .rpms for all this that would load
> over top the old 7.3 rpms nicely?  Are is building from source the only
> option.

Poke through the RPMs I've posted to ftp.deepnet.cx/pub/devel.  There
*should* be a complete set of everything required to install the latest
RH-released sendmail, the current releases of MIMEDefang, SpamAssassin,
and Vipul's Razor, and all of the various perl bits required- including
an RPM'ed copy of Roaring Penguin's patched MIME-Tools.

If you try to install, and something seems to be missing, let me know;
there may be some perl packages that are provided with RH7.3 that I left
out (deliberately or otherwise).

Note that you do NOT want to simply drop any of this in place on a
working production server;  it's a fairly major change!  Put together a
test box to play with the software for a while before pushing things
over to a production box.

> 3. In time, I'm sure I can learn perl and all these "action_" functions to
> tweak the "mimedefang-filter" config file to suit my needs.  But, I want to
> make sure that MD somehow supports virtual domains.   For example, one
> vdomain may reject "message/partial" while another vdomain allows it.  One
> vdomain may want to scan for viruses and another does not.   One may want to
> reject foreign charsets (big5, euc-kr + aliases) while another only allows
> some charsets (utf-7, utf-8, us-ascii, windows-1258, iso-8859-1 + aliases).
> Is that capability there?

stream_by_domain() allows per-domain processing of messages.  It does
require learning some perl.  ;)

Withing that context, you can use the perl functions include() and
require() to include per-domain filter code;  this could probably be
automated to a certain degree.  (ie, use "require("$domain.filter"),
where $domain has been set somewhere to match the destination domain.)

Which answers your next question as well, I think.

> 4. Now the *big* question.  I'd love to avoid modifying code if possible.
> So does someone have a "mimedefang-filter" config file that will read a
> preferences file by vdomain?  I envision a hypothetical file like this:

> # cat /etc/mimedefang-filter.conf
> [interplas.com]
> $AdminAddress = 'defang-admin at interplas.com';
> $AdminName = "Eric Wood";
> $DaemonAddress = 'postmaster at interplas.com';
> $DaemonName    = 'IP';

I don't know if you can set these options on a per-domain basis;  to do
that you'll probably have to hack the mimedefang.pl core filter code.
:/

> Thoughts?

Given the complexity you're looking for, and the fact you're not willing
(or just not yet able) to jump in and modify code to taste, you may be
better off to buy the commercial version from Roaring Penguin.

-kgd
--
Money is overrated.