[Mimedefang] SA 2.50

James Olsen jamesml at planetolsen.com
Tue Feb 25 00:03:01 EST 2003

Hello Nels,

NL> On 24 Feb 2003 at 12:23, James Olsen wrote:

>> I've fed a bunch of spam/ham messages to "teach" SpamAssassin via
>> sa-learn, but when a spam message goes through I don't see any BAYES*
>> flags raised in the "X-Spam-Tests" header.

NL> How many is "a bunch?"  Looks like the BAYES* tests aren't utilized
NL> until there are a minimum of 200 messages in the database.

True, but I used about 1000 spam messages and around 500 hams. I know
ideally they'd be about equal, but that's what I had handy to seed
the system with.

I'm not sure what exactly I did, but it's working now. The only thing
I remember doing is running check_bayes_db to see what was in the
database. First time was a few zeros, I mucked with the system some
and kicked the tires and then it started working.

>> I tried setting a specific path in the sa-mimedefang.cf and
>> it would appear to be using the files in that path (i was getting
>> permission errors until I fixed the permissions, so it appears to be
>> trying to use them). But I'm not sure what I should try next.

NL> Did you also set the bayes_path in ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs for the
NL> user you ran sa-learn under?

No, I am currently using a global configuration only.

NL> Just to be sure, I also set "use_bayes  1" in sa-mimedefang.cf,
NL> though it's supposed to be the default.

Aah yes, I added that on your suggestion.. Perhaps that's what started
it working (guess that teaches me to rely on assumptions, eh?) :)

I'm a happy camper now, the bayes filtering is working. Whoohoo!

The only thing left is to request a feature in check_bayes_db be
implemented in sa-learn and the packages it uses. It would be nice if
one could specify the location of the bayes database to import the
data into (like check_bayes_db allows), instead of defaulting to the
current user's personal spamassassin setup. This way I can update the
global config which currently isn't in any user's home directory. I
guess I could always change the location of the global bayes database
to the defang user's personal area and always sa-learn as that user,
but I'd prefer not to.

Anyhow, thanks for your help! It is truly appreciated.

--
  James