[Mimedefang] Reject :451 4.7.1 Please try again later

Mike Smith mike at ftl.com
Thu Feb 6 17:12:01 EST 2003

David F. Skoll said:

> Hi, Mike.
>
> Right; MIMEDefang's approach is different.  The slave limit is a hard
> limit, and it tempfails mail once it is reached.  There is no way to wait
> for a slave to be free (without substantially rewriting the multiplexor.)
>
> I don't think it's a good idea to wait for a slave; if you do that and mail
> is coming in too fast, you'll have a whole pile of Sendmail processes waiting
> on the slaves, your memory consumption will increase, thrashing will start,
> and your box will grind to a halt.  If your machine is overloaded, it's
> best to say so and tempfail the mail immediately to terminate the waiting
> Sendmail process.

 Very good.

 Thanks for the info David. I guess I was use to the way spamass-milter was doing
it. It's not such a big deal, since once a Temp Fail is issued, it rolls to the
next MX entry anyhow.

 Guess I should beef up the mail servers. What is a reasonable number of slaves to
be running? I have 3 Netra T1's with a GIG Ram in each. Ya, I know...Whimpy
machines :)

 - Mike