[Mimedefang] Reject :451 4.7.1 Please try again later

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Feb 6 16:58:01 EST 2003

Hi, Mike.

> However, this isn't the way I'd expect things to flow. Like I said
> I'm in the process of migrating from spamass-milter/spamd
> setup. With SA/spamd, I NEVER had these types of messages. It would
> hit the max number of spamd processes and but it would never reject
> the mail.

Right; MIMEDefang's approach is different.  The slave limit is a hard
limit, and it tempfails mail once it is reached.  There is no way to wait
for a slave to be free (without substantially rewriting the multiplexor.)

I don't think it's a good idea to wait for a slave; if you do that and mail
is coming in too fast, you'll have a whole pile of Sendmail processes waiting
on the slaves, your memory consumption will increase, thrashing will start,
and your box will grind to a halt.  If your machine is overloaded, it's
best to say so and tempfail the mail immediately to terminate the waiting
Sendmail process.