[Mimedefang] BitDefender

Stefan Schoeman stefan at internext.co.za
Fri Aug 29 05:55:01 EDT 2003

Hello Philip,

Thanks for your thoughts on BDC. Well, I've finally got BDC actually
scanning correctly (from the commandline that is).  I also figured out
that my defang user did not have permissions to access all the BDC data
files, but that was easy to fix. Now, if I run as the defang user, I can
get BDC to execute and identify viruses just fine.

But somehow, when run under MIMEDefang, all the scans come up as clean.
I started messing inside mimedefang.pl just to log what's going on, and
this is what I get when I send a MiMail virus :

Aug 29 11:34:45 safemail mimedefang.pl[30287]: Running File::Scan
Aug 29 11:34:45 safemail mimedefang.pl[30287]: h7T9Yg9Q030308: Bitdefender
STARTED
Aug 29 11:34:45 safemail mimedefang.pl[30287]: run_virus_scanner command :
/usr/local/bin/bdc /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mdefang-h7T9Yg9Q030308/Work --all
--arc --mail 2>&1
Aug 29 11:34:46 safemail mimedefang.pl[30287]: VirusScannerMessage =
^[[1;36;40mBDC/Linux-Console i386 v6.5.2 (Apr 22 2002 16:20:08) Copyright
(C) 1996-2001 SOFTWIN SRL. All rights reserved.^[[0;37;40m Last updated
Fri Aug 29 00:19:51 2003 CORE v1.0.2 i386 (Apr 19 2002 08:09:17)
^[[1;37;40m  Results: Folders           :1 Files             :1 Packed
       :0 Archives          :0 Infected files    :0 Suspect files     :0
Warnings          :0 I/O errors        :0  ^[[0;37;40m^[[0;37;40m
Aug 29 11:34:46 safemail mimedefang.pl[30287]: h7T9Yg9Q030308: Bitdefender
RESULTS : 0

You can see that I extract the actual virus command and then capture the
results from the scanner. But the BDC scanner says all is fine :( Maybe
BDC checks whether it is being run from a terminal and just gives null
results if it is not. A normal scan on a directory containing the same
file gives the following:

defang at safemail:/usr/local/bd7/shared$ bdc . --all --arc --mail
BDC/Linux-Console i386 v6.5.2 (Apr 22 2002 16:20:08)
Copyright (C) 1996-2001 SOFTWIN SRL. All rights reserved.
Last updated Fri Aug 29 00:19:51 2003
CORE v1.0.2 i386 (Apr 19 2002 08:09:17)

/usr/local/bd7/shared/./message.zip=>message.html  infected:
Win32.Mimail.A at mm

Results:
Folders           :2
Files             :90
Packed            :0
Archives          :3
Infected files    :1
Suspect files     :0
Warnings          :0
Identified viruses:1
I/O errors        :2

David, I know this is not your problem, but any suggestions ?

Regards,

Stefan