[Mimedefang] BitDefender

Philipp Baer phbaer at npw.net
Fri Aug 29 02:22:01 EDT 2003

Stefan Schoeman wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> After seeing support for BitDefender in MD2.36, I thought I'd give it a
> bash. Downloaded the Linux edition of BitDefender, updated it using bdc
> --update and then upgraded to MD 2.36. After this I sent a message with
> the message.zip from W32/MiMail to test. This passed straight through
> BDC. I know this is not a MimeDefang issue, but is anyone running
> BitDefender successfully out there, am I missing something or is BDC
> just a pretty useless virus scanner? At this stage, even File::Scan
> gives me better results! Which brings me to a quick further question - I
> see in mimedefang-filter that the first available  virus checker is
> used. Can anyone provide some advice on how I go about checking through
> all available Virus Scanners until there is either one found or until
> there are no more available virus scanners ?

Hi,

I've initially sent the patch for MD for supporting BDC. We weren't
sure at the beginning wether bcd reports hits via return codes. I've
checked it, but in my case, bdc _never_ returned codes. David talked
to the guys at bitdefender who assured him that bdc returns with
status codes. After that, the support BDC for based on return values
was added to MD.

I haven't looked at MD 2.36, I'm still using 2.35 with my personal
patch, so I can't say anything about the new version. You could try
to use 2.35 and patch it, if you want. It doesn't evalute the return
codes, instead it checks the output of bdc. It very far from being
perfect (or usable), the virus name is extracted wrongly, for example.
I've antivir running, too, since I don't trust only one virus
scanner... ;)

Btw: the germany computer magazine c't has tested linux virus scanners
in one of its last edition. Both, antivir and bdc do have worse
scanning results under linux. Since they're both free and since I
don't get as many viruses, I don't care. Just to mention.

ciao, phb

--
Philipp Baer <phbaer at npw.net> [http://www.npw.net/]
Anja Framework: see [http://anja.npw.net/] for details.