[Mimedefang] Mime Defang Graphs

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Mon Sep 23 16:16:11 EDT 2002

John Kirkland wrote:

> 1.  Add data caching for summary data so I don't have to go back to the
> raw data for each graph.
> 2.  Switch graph engine to work off of the /var/log/maillog file.
> 3.  Collect additional summary statistics from /var/log/maillog regarding
> total sent messages.
> 4.  Add option to graphdefang to display total sent statistics on charts.

    Here's an idea (and this is taken directly from the way MRTG works):

    Instead of parsing maillog everytime, use 'mailstats' (or whatever the
equivalent is for other MTAs).  Parse out the data you need and store it.  One
hour from now (or however many times per hour you run your script), parse
'mailstats' again, and compare the values that you received now versus what you
had in the previous run, and calculate the total then.  Don't forget to store
the new value.  One can even use a Round Robin Database to store these things.
MRTG already does (as long as you combine it with RRDTool.)

    So, in my situation, I'm looking at something like this:

    # mailstats
    Statistics from Thu Feb 28 00:51:56 2002
     M   msgsfr  bytes_from   msgsto    bytes_to  msgsrej msgsdis  Mailer
     3     2346      10928K     1200       1954K       58      98  local
     5   144476     242101K   125797     834919K    21776   16194  esmtp
     T   146822     253029K   126997     836873K    21834   16292
     C   146822               126997                50496

    So, I've had 144,476 esmtp messages since Feb 28th.  Now, if I run this
again in an hour, I'll get a higher value, which I can then subtract this from
and get the total messages received in said hour.

    This is what I use to plot simple esmtp traffic (amount in and out) seen at
http://mrtg.yeehaw.net/ (scroll down to SMTP stats) - unfortunately I suffered
a 2 hour power failure this morning, so everything appears flat during those 2
hours.

--
W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.