[Mimedefang] Not filtering outbound mail

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Nov 8 16:12:01 EST 2002

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Matt A. Gargett wrote:

> Hmmm... I don't think so.. This is my corporate external SMTP gateway, and we
> don't really want to open up another SMTP server to the internet.

No, you don't have to.  You can just have a dedicated machine which handles
only outgoing mail (doesn't allow connections from the Internet.)  There
are some advantages to splitting your inbound and outbound relays,
if you can afford the extra hardware.

Another option is to send your outbound mailing list to a queue-only
machine and then initiate a queue run when everything's queued up.  By
doing a small number of queue runs in parallel (let's say 4 or 5), you
get some parallelism without overwhelming the SMTP gateway.

> How does majordomo or listman manage this?

Mailman batches up messages in groups of 30 recipients.  Are all of your
3000 messages different?  If it's just 3000 copies of the same message,
it's much cheaper to send (say) 30 copies to 100 recipients each.

> I'd really perfer someway to disable the milter for a specific relay address,
> even if it saves me just a little bit of processor power, it might be
> enough..

The proper place to do this would be in the mimedefang C code.  This
may be a common enough requirement that I'll consider adding it.