[Mimedefang] Thoughts of Easy Spamassassin/MIMEDefang Configuration

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Mar 27 09:04:03 EST 2002

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Jeffrey Thompson wrote:

> I would like to enable users of Spamassassin to tweak their own
> white/black lists (to start with probably could do more than this).  I’m
> thinking of a web interface for this purpose (probably a PHP program
> with a form).  The result will editing the user’s Spamassassin
> configuration (probably via mysql) for their particular spam rule tweak.

[I'm reading this on the MIMEDefang list.]

MIMEDefang is very difficult to configure on a per-user basis.  Use
procmail or something similar for per-user filtering.

> I’m also planning on enabling an Administrator to easily turn
> Spamassassin on or off for a user or domain.  I use MIMEDefang and will
> provide a lookup mechanism to determine whether to call Spamassassin for
> this email or not.

Again, this is fraught with danger.  What if an e-mail message comes
in for "a at domain.com" and "b at domain.com", and "a" and "b" have different
preferences?  Under MIMEDefang, it's tricky to handle this.

You need to use Sendmail 8.12.2 with MIMEDefang to accomplish this --
see the stream_by_domain function.  You also lose some information
(the relay host IP) if you do that.