[Mimedefang] what bounce does

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Jun 14 07:22:36 EDT 2002

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Scott Field wrote:

> Why is bouncing an email bad?
> I thought that if you tell the peer MTA that you are not accepting the email,
> thats OK.

It is, but if someone has faked the sender address, bouncing an e-mail
will most likely cause the sending MTA to send a failure notice to the
(faked) sender address, so you have to be careful.

I will probably remove the warning, though; it's a bit strong.  One thing:
I do not recommend action_notify_sender, because if someone has faked a
sender address, your notifications will go to the wrong person and/or will
bounce back to you.