[Mimedefang] what bounce does

Scott Field sfield at idx.com.au
Fri Jun 14 04:21:55 EDT 2002

Why is bouncing an email bad?
I thought that if you tell the peer MTA that you are not accepting the email,
thats OK.

I don't understand the warning in the mimedefang-filter man page that says "action_bounce
is not appropriate for use with viruses....or where you have the slightest doubt
about the authenticity of the sender's address....."

I don't see the relevance of the sender's address. I thought we were just rejecting
the mail from the MTA while it was trying to send mail to us. Why do we care
about the senders address?

Cheers
Scott