[Mimedefang] Blacklist vs Access_db

Mike Batchelor mikebat at tmcs.net
Mon Dec 16 17:41:01 EST 2002

--On Wednesday, December 11, 2002 9:51 AM -0500 "David F. Skoll"
<dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:

> However, some MTA's usually add a "Return-Path:" header
> with the envelope address, which (theoretically) SpamAssassin could use.
> I believe most Sendmail configurations add Return-Path:

Negative.  Return-Path is added by the MTA just before handing off to the
local delivery agent.  MTAs are never supposed to add Return-Path
otherwise, and IIRC they are to remove it if found.  Oh, here it is:  'When
the delivery SMTP server makes the "final delivery" of a message, it
inserts a return-path line at the beginning of the mail data.'  (RFC2821,
Sec 4.4)  This RFC also specifies when MTAs may remove Return-Path: just
before giving the message to the local delivery agent.

In any case, Return-Path is not supposed to be there when MD/SA has access
to the message.  Even if you are running MD/SA on the same machine where
local delivery occurs, MD/SA have the message before sendmail determines
the disposition, so there will not be a Return-Path present here, either.
Sendmail adds it after Milter processing.  SA can get at it if it is called
from .forward, however.

---
"The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
 -- Kosh