[Mimedefang] Blacklist vs Access_db

Stefano McGhee SMcGhee at ARCweb.com
Wed Dec 11 10:04:01 EST 2002

>Both the envelope sender and the From: header are easily faked, so they
>are more useful (IMO) for whitelisting than for blacklisting.  And if
>you are whitelisting someone, it's unlikely the From: header and envelope
>sender will be different (except for mailing lists.)

It's interesting that you say that.  I thought that the envelope header WAS
a cinch to fake, but the From:header was more difficult.  I can read a
header and see people claiming to be from hotmail, aol, or msn, but
actually sending through a server in East Nowhere.  But I'm still kinda'
fuzzy on the details of the From: header that the MTA uses.  Does anyone
have a link to a resource that could help me better understand how to
decipher some of these headers better?  I've attached a copy of the headers
of a most recent piece of spam reported to me by my users.  It was for,
well, male member enlargement, and got a SpamAssassin score of -68!
Crafty...

Stefano

with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.5329);

         Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:30:56 -0500

        by galactica.arcweb.com (8.12.6/8.12.6) with SMTP id
gBAIXGh2001480;

        Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:33:21 -0500

        by mta21.bigpong.com with SMTP; Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:30:16 -0700

        by asy100.as122.sol-superunderline.com with esmtp; 10 Dec 2002
10:30:07 -0700

Dec 2002 03:29:58 +1200

        by hd.ressort.net with NNFMP; Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:29:49 -0400

        by pet.vosni.net with local; Tue, 10 Dec 2002 11:29:40 +0700