[Mimedefang] Spammers Attacking - I need some help

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Aug 19 17:34:00 EDT 2002

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Dave Shepherd wrote:

> 3) My mail-relay rejects the message with "Reject: Message seems to be
> SPAM" being
> sent back to the sending host (again my ISP).

Why not do this:

if ($message_is_spam) {
	if ($RelayAddr eq "ip.of.my.isp") {
		return action_discard();
	} else {
		return action_bounce("Message is spam");
	}
}

That way, instead of bouncing spam back to your ISP's machine, you
silently discard it.

I would also complain to your ISP and have them track down or firewall off
the spammer -- that's a clear case of abuse, and possibly fodder for
criminal prosecution.

Another trick: Some spammers use the least-preferred MX record just to
get around spam protection on the usual MX machine and cause the
headaches you describe.  If your normal mail server is
"mail.mydomain.net" and you have a backup at "backup.isp.net", create
an alias for mail.mydomain.net called "lastchance.mydomain.net" and
make your MX records look like this:

	1d	IN	MX	1	mail.mydomain.net.
	1d	IN	MX	100	backup.isp.net.
	1d	IN	MX	1000	lastchance.mydomain.net.

:-) That fools those "clever" spamming programs...