[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang 2.16 vs. SpamAssassin 2.31

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Thu Aug 8 13:09:01 EDT 2002

On 8 Aug 2002 at 10:56, Tony Nugent wrote:

<SNIP>

> But a problem I that I will very soon have to cope with is that
> there will be roaming clients (travelling staff) connecting from
> dynamic IPs using STARTTLS/AUTH.

<SNIP>

> This looks like a case where I will need to use the
> %SendmailMacros hash, which I assume is used something like this:
>
> 	return if $SendmailMacros{"$auth_type"};
> 	return if $SendmailMacros{"$auth_authen"};
> 	return if $SendmailMacros{"$auth_ssf"};
>
> There is some explaination of these macros in the sendmail
> cf/README, but for filtering purposes, if these calls return undef
> or null then does this mean that TLS/AUTH was not used?

Correct.

> Or is it more complicated than this?  Can you do even more useful
> filtering depending on the return values?

I don't think you need to do anything other than checking for the
existence of the macro.  It's a hash, though, so your above syntax is
slightly incorrect (you don't need $).  I haven't played with the
macro values at all, so I have no idea what else you might be able to
do with 'em.

Kelson Vibber posted an example filter which incoroporated a check
for SMTP AUTH about a month ago, part of which I'm now using.  The
relevant portion is:

if ((-s "./INPUTMSG" < 64*1024) && $VirusFound == 0
  && $RelayAddr !~ /$LocalRelays/
  && ! exists($SendmailMacros{'auth_authen'})) {
    ($hits, $req, $tests, $report) = spam_assassin_check();
} else {
}

Rather than returning, I branch into a section which adds a header
explaining why SpamAssassin wasn't run.

----
Nels Lindquist <*>
Information Systems Manager