[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang 2.16 vs. SpamAssassin 2.31

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Wed Aug 7 20:58:01 EDT 2002

On Tue Aug 06 2002 at 17:13, "Sidney Markowitz" wrote:

> "Tony Nugent" <tony at linuxworks.com.au> wrote:
> >  So I also need to stop filtering local email
> > for spam checks, only incoming.
>
> I did that by adding a test for the ip addresses from which I allow relaying
> (the local network behind my firewall and another outside class C ip address
[ ... ]

>     return if message_rejected();
>         return if ($RelayAddr =~ "^NNN\.NNN\.NNN\.");
>         return if ($RelayAddr =~ "^NNN\.NNN\.NNN\.");
>     if ($Features{"SpamAssassin"}) {

I've done similar too.

But a problem I that I will very soon have to cope with is that
there will be roaming clients (travelling staff) connecting from
dynamic IPs using STARTTLS/AUTH.

Some will be using windoze vpn pptp tunnels (so they can browse the
internal lan from outside), so I will have some control over these
IPs.

But many others will be wanting to post from just about anywhere
(just to use email), and a local IP relay check will not exclude
these clients.

This looks like a case where I will need to use the
%SendmailMacros hash, which I assume is used something like this:

	return if $SendmailMacros{"$auth_type"};
	return if $SendmailMacros{"$auth_authen"};
	return if $SendmailMacros{"$auth_ssf"};

There is some explaination of these macros in the sendmail
cf/README, but for filtering purposes, if these calls return undef
or null then does this mean that TLS/AUTH was not used?  Or is it
more complicated than this?  Can you do even more useful filtering
depending on the return values?

>  -- sidney

Cheers
Tony