[Mimedefang] Errors with MIMEdefang on Solaris

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Aug 5 22:21:01 EDT 2002

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Drew wrote:

> All,
> I have been seeing a very strange condition with my installation.
> I am running Mimedefang 2.2 on Solaris 8.

MIMEDefang 2.2 is very old.  You might want to upgrade to 2.16.

> I see a great many errors
> in my logs related to free slaves (mfconnect: No free slaves) and
> some related to the socket (MXcommand: Socket: too many open files)

Do you have a high mail volume?  A slow machine?  Are you running an
expensive filter?  External virus-scanner?  Are you re-invoking Sendmail
from your filter rules?

The "no free slaves" message is normal (in the sense that it means too
much mail is coming for your system to handle.)  The "too many open files"
message means you've hit a per-process limit on the number of open files.
You have to modify the settings for the OS.  I don't know how Solaris works,
but it probably involves modifying some settings file and rebooting the
system.  Any Solaris gurus out there?