[Mimedefang] Almost there -- Newbie Alert!

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Aug 1 12:25:01 EDT 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Cowles, Steve wrote:

> 1) Does Mimedefang spawn spamassassin -or- is it the other way around? I'm
> confused on this issue.

Neither.  MIMEDefang interfaces to SpamAssassin at the Perl module
level.  That is, the "mimedefang.pl" program makes direct Perl method
calls into the SpamAssassin perl module.

> 2) Is there a way to debug MIMEDefang? Kinda like "set -x" in a shell
> script. It would be nice if I could trace what MIMEDefang is doing until I
> get more familiar with its structure.

Not really, unfortunately.

> 3) Are there any mimedefang logfiles?

Nope.  If you use the "-l" option on the multiplexor, anything printed
to STDERR by the Perl filter gets logged using syslog.

> 4) Does the mimedefang example filter support spamassassin. Based on looking
> at this file, it looks like there is at least a "sub" for spamassassin.

Yes.