[Mimedefang] Having trouble since 3.0 upgrade?

Erik Olson erik at thekrib.com
Sat Sep 3 00:10:49 EDT 2022

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I didn't see any bug
repository easily on the mimedefang web page.

Longtime user of mimedefang+spamassassin on a Fedora server I use to run
some small non-profit domains.

I have kept the spamassassin customizations in
/etc/mail/sa-mimedefang.cf  since /forever/, and as far as I can see in
the docs and man pages, that's a reasonable home. That's where I've
configured bayesian filtering, global blacklists and whitelists, etc.

About 15 days or so, it looks like I took an update on Fedora 35 that
upgraded mimedefang from 2.86 to 3.0.  Since that time, things have gone
a bit off in the system...getting e-mails from clearly-blacklisted
senders, for instance.  Today I tracked it down to
/etc/mail/sa-mimedefang.cf no longer being read by the
mimedefang-induced spamassassin call.  When I copied the contents of
that file to /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf, I suddenly got all my
functionality back.

Spamassassin has not changed in quite some time.

It sounds like something has changed in 3.0 in regards to how config
paths are being passed to spamassassin.  Is this a known issue?  An
idiosyncracy with Fedora maybe?

I'm up and running with everything moved to the generic location, but
it'd be nice to know why...

Thanks,

   - Erik Olson