[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang 3.0-rc1

giovanni at paclan.it giovanni at paclan.it
Fri May 13 09:07:02 EDT 2022

On 5/13/22 14:47, Dianne Skoll via MIMEDefang wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2022 13:15:35 +0200
> Giovanni Bechis via MIMEDefang <mimedefang at lists.mimedefang.org> wrote:
>
>> Some methods are no more automatically exported and must be called
>> using their namespace. Methods that are no more exported are:
>
> I don't understand the point of these changes.  They potentially break
> people's filters without actually improving the code much or the API
> at all, which still relies on a whole bunch of magical global
> variables and global functions.
>
> If you're going to introduce breaking changes, you might as well fix
> all of the code and improve the API to reduce technical debt.  In
> fact, I did this a year ago with Mailmunge[1] and it only took a few
> weeks; I'm disappointed in the direction of MIMEDefang development.  I
> realize that it's out of my hands now, but as the original author I
> still feel a certain connection to MIMEDefang.

Actually I am open to revert those changes if they break someone's filter, this version is an "rc1"
and there is time to improve it before release.
My idea is to keep compatibility with old versions while improving the code as much as possible.
Rewriting from scratch will probably break compatibility with most filters and this is not my plan.

 Regards
  Giovanni