[Mimedefang] action_drop_with_warning and refuse to sender

Marcus Schopen lists at localguru.de
Fri Aug 24 06:10:41 EDT 2018

Am Freitag, den 24.08.2018, 08:42 +0000 schrieb Paul Murphy:
> > > a REJECT is not a bounce, its a denied to accept it
> > A REJECT is potentially likely to cause a bounce, but yeah... it
> > won't
>
> be backscatter from your machine.
>
> Plus a REJECT is only possible if you don't stream by recipient.  If
> you have streamed, it becomes a bounce.  Either way, nobody cares any
> more what you do with it - they're not scanning their logs to see
> which emails failed and why, because there's no return code for "Your
> user tried to send us a virus, please investigate".  Plus false
> positives still happen, which is part of the reason they can't be
> bothered to follow up even if you tell them that you've found what
> you think is a virus.

I don't agree. Rejecting a virus email means not receiving it from the
law side. If you accept an email or just drop it, the problem is on
your side. That's why I want to reject it, but inform the recipient -
not the sender - about the rejection. I agree, that most of the senders
will ignore the rejection, don't scan their logs, or the sender ignores
bounces from the sending smtp. But again, this is not my problem then.

Ciao!