[Mimedefang] REVISED: postfix/mimedefang socket

Michael Fox news at mefox.org
Wed Sep 27 10:56:30 EDT 2017

> It may
> simply be that in earlier versions the distribution init scripts'
> "restart" command was used directly rather than generating a generic
> systemd unit file that synthesizes restart with plain "start" and "stop"
> commands.

That makes sense.

In my own case, I started with MD on Ubuntu 14.04 (MD v2.73).  The documentation I found said to use "/etc/init.d/mimedefang reread" after changes to the filter file.  But that had no effect (that I could see).  So I started using "/etc/init.d/mimedefang restart".

Once I got things working, I installed on Ubuntu 16.04 (v2.78).  Ubuntu 16.04 uses systemd.  So I simply converted to "systemctl restart mimedefang".  And that's when I saw the problem caused by no "wait"ing.

BTW, in Ubuntu 16.04:
-- systemctl reread mimedefang results in "Unknown operation reread"
-- systemctl reload mimedefang does run.  But I haven't tested to see if it actually picks up the changes to the filter file.

I wonder:  Is the Debian package maintainer on this list?  We seem to be speculating on questions that the packager could answer definitively.

Michael