[Mimedefang] REVISED: postfix/mimedefang socket

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Sat Sep 23 00:50:47 EDT 2017

On 09/22/2017 12:47 PM, Michael Fox wrote:
> Option 3:  Use unix socket in Postfix chroot jail

This looks to be what I do. I'm running Postfix and MIMEDefang on
Ubuntu, both from packages. Postfix runs as the postfix user, and
there's a defang group. I run Postfix in a chroot.

These appear to be the relevant parts of my install script:

adduser --quiet postfix defang

install -d -o defang -g defang -m 750 \
    /var/spool/postfix/var/spool/MIMEDefang

chown -R defang:defang \
    /var/lib/MIMEDefang \
    /var/spool/MIMEDefang \
    /var/spool/postfix/var/spool/MIMEDefang

sed -i 's|^\(# \)\?\(SOCKET\)=.*|\2=/var/spool/postfix/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock|' \
    /etc/default/mimedefang

I believe we have some sort of trouble if one of the daemons is
restarted, but not the other, or if it's done in the wrong order or
something. I don't have a lot of specifics off the top of my head. In
practice, we hardly ever restart one or the other. It's usually either
stopping both (and starting MIMEDefang first, to give slaves a chance to
spin up), or rebooting the server.

I hope this helps. If you have specific questions, I'll try to dig into
my config if I can. I'm currently out of the office, though.

--
Richard