[Mimedefang] Block .js extension was Fwd: G Suite Update Alerts

Kevin A. McGrail KMcGrail at PCCC.com
Thu Jan 26 09:26:21 EST 2017

On 1/26/2017 9:12 AM, Dianne Skoll wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 08:10:13 -0500
> "Kevin A. McGrail" <KMcGrail at PCCC.com> wrote:
>
>> OK, so I seem to post only about extensions lately... Gmail is going
>> to block .js which mirrors in the wild attempts in zip files as well
>> that we have seen VERY minorly in recent days.
> Huh.  We take a more nuanced approach.  We block .js files directly attached
> to an email message.  For looking inside zips, we block .js files UNLESS
> there's also at least one .html, .htm or .css file also found in the zip.
>
> A blanket block of .js would really annoy web developers who seem to mail
> around zip files of projects (yeah, yeah, this "git" nonsense will never
> catch on...)
Nice nuanced approach.  We haven't had too many complaints and have
blocked js/jse with quarantine for eons including inside zip files
recursively.  RCS like git is really the correct answer...

Regards,
KAM