[Mimedefang] Embedded Perl

Dianne Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Sep 21 18:54:58 EDT 2015

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 14:04:04 -0700
Amit Gupta <amit777 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I'm using Centos7.1 and mimedefang 2.75 (still need to upgrade to
> latest). The documentation indicates that if you start mimedefang with
> the -E parameter, it uses embedded perl which is supposedly faster.  I
> was wondering if someone could give me insight into why it's actually
> faster under the hood?

The speedup comes because with embedded Perl, the multiplexor does
not have to fork/exec a Perl process.  I don't think it's significantly
faster, but it probably helps a little bit.

> Also, should embedded perl be enabled by default?

Yes.  It can't hurt.

> I see a --disable-embedded-perl option in the configure script. I did
> not configure my system to disable embedded perl, however when I try
> to experiment with the -E option, mimedefang complains that I did not
> enable embedded perl..

If you didn't have the Perl development libraries installed when you
compiled MIMEDefang, it won't have support for embedded Perl.

Regards,

Dianne.