[Mimedefang] Locking down sendmail from behind a filtering gateway

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Feb 17 15:26:26 EST 2015

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 14:29:16 -0500
"John Von Essen" <john at quonix.net> wrote:

> But yes, I never even thought of that, I could use MD on the mail
> server and implement the reject/allow logic. I was just trying to see
> if there was a native way to do it in sendmail. If I had 2nd NICs on
> all the servers, I could do it that way via backdoor network.

What OS are you running?  I don't think you need two NICs.  You can
make virtual Ethernet devices with on different IP addresses and set
the listen address for Sendmail to be only the network that you want
to allow connections from.  I know this is doable with Linux and
almost certainly with any other modern UNIX-like system.

Doing it with MIMEDefang works, but is obviously far less efficient.