[Mimedefang] Perl Developer

G.W. Haywood mimedefang at jubileegroup.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 12:54:36 EDT 2014

Hi there,

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014, Paul Rabbideau wrote:

> I'm looking for a Perl developer with MIMEDefang experience for
> some contract work.  If you are interested, please contact me.

I'm interested.

I've been using Perl for approaching 20 years.  I can't now remember
when I started using it, but I was writing mod_perl scripts for Apache
Webservers around the turn of the century for a legal training firm in
Los Angeles which had in excess of four million users (unfortunately I
can't identify the firm, which is still in business and my contract
still binds me to confidentiality).  Before that I coded some of the
early sites for an online holiday site which was then owned by EMAP
Publications in the UK - I think that was my first Perl contract.
Also at about that time, together with Stas Bekman I re-wrote and
greatly extended the 'Mod_perl Guide'.

I've been using MIMEDefang for over nine years in both my own and
client mail servers.  I try to minimize the number of messages which
are scanned by heavyweight Perl scripts, and MIMEDefang is generally
the last in a string of about seven Sendmail milters.

I wouldn't describe myself as primarily a Perl developer.  I have a
very wide range of experience with GNU/Linux systems, mostly based on
Debian, Red Hat and Slackware distributions.  The attached list is to
be the basis of a training course which I'm planning for a client, I've
quickly hacked it to avoid identifying the client and to remove some of
the less interesting items.

I'm based in the UK and France.  I have business interests in the UK,
and a home in the French Pyrenees.

Where are you based?

Kind regards,

Ged Haywood.
-------------- next part --------------
User training

Documentation

Hardware
  PCs, Servers, CNC, Clock card reader,
  Network kit e.g. switches, hubs, cabling and connectors.
  Memory, discs, CPUS.  Fans.  Routine maintenance.
  32-bit/64-bit issues.
  Telephone systems.

Linux
  Disc partitions, filesystems, swap, boot records
  Boot loaders
    Grub, LiLo, configuration
  Kernel
    modules
     module versioning
    problems with some modules e.g. ethernet drivers (e.g jme.ko, r8168/r8169)
  Filesystem (mostly ext2/3/4 but also NTFS/VFAT/ISO9660, +Rock Ridge extensions, etc.)
    root (/), /etc/, /bin/, /sbin/, /home/, /proc/, /sys/, /dev/, /run/, /tmp/, /mnt/, ...
    Users, groups, root (UID 0), addusers, /etc/addusers.conf, ...
    Permissions
    Filesystem layout
    Filesystems on e.g. flash memory
    Limitations - 32-bit/64-bit issues
  Startup - scripts, directories, (see also updates)
  Daemons e.g. sshd, ntpd, bind, crond, imapd, inetd/xinetd, named, dhcpd, sensord, ...
  Shells
    sh, bash, ash, csh, tcsh,
      login/terminal/non-login
      configuration, aliases, command history
      restricted shell
    stdio, redirection, pipes
    globs
    shell scripts
  Utilities e.g. ...
     man, mount, umount, fsck,
     date, ls, ps, df, du,
     sensors, ifconfig (see also 'network tools')
     less, editors,
     echo, cut, tr,
     grep, gzip, mail, nice, sed, top,
     kill, killall,
     perl, perl -e '', perl scripts, ...
  Regular expressions
  Logging, syslog, syslog-ng
    Log rotation - logrotate
  Configuration files - general
  Distributions
    Debian
      HDD install; LiveCD; Boot from HDD, grub menu etc.
      Install from packages (apt-get install), apt-get update ; apt-get ugrade
      sources.lst
        squeeze-lst

  Perl

  cygwin

Networks
  Hardware
    Ethernet switches, hubs.
    Cabling, specifications, make/test cabling.
    Wireless links.
    Routers, ADSL router, watch out for bloody printers etc. behaving as routers.
  Protocols & standards
    RFCs
    Ethernet
    DNS, DNSSEC
    SMTP
    HTTP
    FTP
    SMB
    NTP
  Enabling Software
    Firewalls
     iptables, tc, traffic shaping
     IPCop
       SSH access
       Web UI
       DHCP service
    Routes
    VPNs - routes, iptables
    Servers for mail, web, time, file
  SSH, ssh, scp, VNC, vnc4server, x11vnc, xtightvncviewer, RDESKTOP, rdesktop.
  Network tools
    tcpdump, nmap, iftop, p0f, wireshark, netcat, socat (and of course netstat, ifconfig, ip, route, traceroute, ping, arp,...)
  NFS/CIFS/other, remote mounts
  /etc/services; hosts.allow etc., inetd
  /etc/hosts
  /etc/resolv.conf

Network rules of engagement
  Minimum surface
  Africa, China, Eastern Europe, etc.
  Machinery can be connected to the computers!
  Dropbox, bubbles, DomaIQ, ...

Monitoring software
  Nagios
    General host/network monitoring with Nagios
      Temperatures, disc space, load, SMART, time service
      Plugins
      Security
    Host monitoring using nrpe
  Smokeping
    Network monitoring with Smokeping
      slaves

Build software from source [download, configure, make, install, configure, run, check]

Mail
  Sendmail
    Configure - sendmail.mc, local configuration, m4 macros, delivery agents, build, install.  Build sendmail.cf etc., certificates, aliases, virtusertable, BerkleyDB, ...
    Milters - daemons, configuration files, startup files, sockets, run directories
    ClamAV, databases, updates
    Check operation
    Logging
    Adding users
      virtusertable
      everyone at rowlescourt.co.uk
      .mailboxlist
      .vacation
    Forwarding
      .forward
    Procmail
      .procmailrc
  Mail filtering (server side)
    RBLs, DNSBLs, Spamhaus, reverse lookups, milters e.g. ClamAV, SPF, MIMEDefang, SpamAssassin, GeoIP, etc., etc.
    logging
  Remote mail access, pop/pops, imap/imaps
  SPF
  Mail delivery agents
Mail stores
  mbox, maildir, mbx, mix,
  conversion
Mail tools
  mailutil(s)

SAMBA
  Configure, build, install.  Local configuration.
  Samba tools
    testparm, smbclient, net, swat, smbmount, ...
  File server
    Users
    Access, permissions
  AD
    DNS

Printing
  CUPS
    Web interface

Backup
  Backup server
    rsync
    Drive space
  scripts, crontabs, monitoring
  BackupPC
    configuration
    Web interface

Virtual Machines
  Virtualbox
    Windows 2000, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2003 Server, Windows XP, Windows 7
    VMs - list
    Access via virtual console or via network interface
    Snapshots, backup, recovering snapshots, planning for data loss!  Use the SERVERS!
  Workstations
    Firewall rules to prevent e.g. .243 from accessing Internet.
    Setting up a new workstation
    Windows 7 activation via Key Management Server
    Microsoft Office, Excel etc. activation via KMS
    Thunderbird, Evolution, Alpine, Kmail
      Setting up mail client for access to the local mail server
      Ports - 25, 587, 993

  MAC
    Remote X server access
  Linux
    GNOME
    LibreOffice, Thunderbird, Evolution, Evince
    xterm
    rdesktop
    xtightvncviewer
    x11vnc (reprise)