[Mimedefang] spam_assassin_check randomly returns zero points and blank names

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed May 21 09:29:04 EDT 2014

On Wed, 21 May 2014 01:07:53 -0500
Cliff Hayes <chayes at afo.net> wrote:

> I don't know how long this has been going on but I just noticed that
> about 1% of emails going through our system are being assigned zero
> points/hits and blank tests/names.

Maybe those message actually don't hit any tests?

> I don't know how to troubleshoot this?  Where should I start?

Please post your filter or at least the relevant part that calls
SpamAssassin.  Another thing to try is to make a test that *always* hits.
Maybe something like:

header ALWAYS_HIT Subject =~ /.?/
describe ALWAYS_HIT A rule that always hits
score ALWAYS_HIT 0.00001

Then make sure that you always see ALWAYS_HIT in the results.