[Mimedefang] Little help with no checks for AUTH users on 587

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Fri Nov 22 09:05:43 EST 2013

> On Thu, 21 Nov 2013, Ben Kamen wrote:
>
>> I need a little quick help -- in my mimedefang milter, what can I put in
>> to bypass checking emails being relayed by my server submitted on 587 by
>> authorized users??

We have this near the top:

    undef $good;

    # SMTP Authentication

    if (defined $SendmailMacros{"auth_type"}) {
        $good = 1;
    }

And then later for any routine we can test $good. Because of stolen
(phished) passwords we don't exempt smtp auth mail -- we just treat it a
little differently. Some checks are skipped and there are special checks
only for smtp auth mail. (The name $good is therefore rather historical in
nature! Those were the days.)

Notice that this does not check the port, but only whether SMTP Auth
succeeded. That's all we require here. I don't know how to test the port.

Notice you must clear $good per message. Since we use it as a per-message
global we undef it at the top and then define it (or not), instead of using
my.

Joseph Brennan
Columbia University IT