[Mimedefang] How to change envelope sender?

Tilman Schmidt t.schmidt at phoenixsoftware.de
Fri May 3 12:24:38 EDT 2013

Am 03.05.2013 um 08:18 schrieb Benoit Panizzon <benoit.panizzon at imp.ch>:

> Well, what's worse?
>
> - Backscatter? (and getting your server in blacklists because of that).
> - Sender not knowing his email got not forwarded (but the one forwarding his
> address can check upon that).
>
> I do consider backscatter the more serious problem.

I strongly disagree. Notifying the sender of delivery problems is an essential and nonnegotiable element of E-mail. IOW dropping a mail without notifying the server is Bad. Full stop.

Backscatter OTOH is a nuisance, which should be minimized of course, but cannot be completely avoided. Blacklisting because of backscatter would be a Bad Idea (TM) which I thankfully never encountered so far, but if someone did that it would certainly be their own fault if they blocked legitimate mail as a result. In my experience, misguided measures like that tend to get lifted very quickly if senders and (intended) recipients of blocked mails are informed in no unclear words who's responsible for the communication failure.

Jm2c
Tilman