[Mimedefang] How to change envelope sender?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri May 3 10:38:38 EDT 2013

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 1:18 AM, Benoit Panizzon <benoit.panizzon at imp.ch> wrote:
>> Sooo,,, How does the real sender of the email ever find out that he
>> sent to a broken address?
>
> Well, what's worse?
>
> - Backscatter? (and getting your server in blacklists because of that).
> - Sender not knowing his email got not forwarded (but the one forwarding his
> address can check upon that).

Depends on whether you think email should actually be a useful form of
communication or not.  If I can't tell an address that has been given
to me is never going to be delivered, it is not very useful.

> I do consider backscatter the more serious problem.

If you don't care if things are delivered or not, why not save the
trouble and reject everything?   Maybe there's some way to do the
forwarding in real-time and pass back the result.   Might be difficult
in the general case of forwarding to multiple  recipients or where the
destination expands to a list with mixed results, but for one->one it
seems theoretically possible.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com