[Mimedefang] X-Auto-Response-Suppress header

Chad M Stewart Chad at Balius.com
Thu May 17 20:00:48 EDT 2012

On May 17, 2012, at 6:02 PM, kd6lvw at yahoo.com wrote:

> In that case, why have standards at all if the results from non-compliant software will be accepted anyway?  Rejection of non-standard data (including messages) should give sufficient motivation to fix broken software.

Except in the case of M$FT.  Back in 1995 I was working on NET 13.  You'd think when the people at PARC speak other technology folks would listen.  I also had folks who write the RFCs saying "but wait the RFC says... and here is why XYZ is important"  but alas the boys in Redmond didn't listen or didn't care.  I was running the mail switch (PMDF) and doing conversions from various native formats to SMTP and vice versa.  Microsoft Exchange was so broken then. Thankfully the wayback machine can help bring back the page I wrote so long ago.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050122113036/http://balius.com/pande/

I try to follow "Be conservative in what you send, liberal in what you accept" though that gets harder when one has to combat spam.  Then again don't follow that advice if you're writing a packet filter.  :)

-Chad