[Mimedefang] Remembering lots of passwords (was Re: FYI: LinkedIn MIMEDefang group is gone)

Jason Englander jason at englanders.us
Wed Jun 6 17:21:38 EDT 2012

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Thanks - but I probably use at least a dozen different devices in the
> course of a day (win/mac/linux/android, at least) and am not very good
> at planning to be on the right one at the right time and worse, some
> are firewalled from each other.   Is there some way to handle that
> without trusting them all to some random outside service?

There are still some things I won't put in it myself (i.e. only on a piece
of paper or on a flash drive in a safe), but I think the GPL-licensed
KeePassX (vs the regular KeePass) + KeePassDroid + DropBox might cover
you.

http://www.keepassx.org/
http://www.keepassdroid.com/
http://www.dropbox.com/

I have not used the Android one lately, but each time I open KeePassX
under Linux (regularly) or under Windows (occasionally), I enter a
password and pass it a key-file.  The key file path is pre-filled-in, so
just type the master password.  If you don't have both, you can't get in
there.

And if you need access to the list at the command-line, export it as text
occasionally, encrypt it with gpg... (and shred the text file)

   Jason

--
Jason Englander <jason at englanders.us>
394F 7E02 C105 7268 777A  3F5A 0AC0 C618 0675 80CA