[Mimedefang] Problem using ClamAV

Matt Garretson mattg at assembly.state.ny.us
Tue Feb 21 10:24:06 EST 2012

On 2/18/2012 10:23 AM, Mișu Moldovan wrote:
> And in that setup it was SpamAssassin doing all the heavy lifting,
> which resulted in +90% of the incoming mail being rejected before
> reaching the ClamAV filter. In the end I have disabled AV scanning

Funny... on my system it's the exact opposite.  Scans with clamd are
basically free, and spamassassin is the cpu hog.  As a result, every
single message goes through clam first.  Remaining messages go through
bogofilter, and then what's left goes through spamassassin.  On a
typical day, clam gets about 45% of the junk, bogofilter gets another
45%, and spamassassin gets about 10%.  Spamassassin sees only about a
quarter of all messages.

And all three scans are called very nicely from a simple mimedefang
filter.  This has been working great for years.

NB: This is on a small mail relay which sees only ~200K messages per day.