[Mimedefang] Problem using ClamAV

Mișu Moldovan dumol at gnome.org
Sat Feb 18 10:23:43 EST 2012

În data de 18.02.12 la 16:40, David F. Skoll a scris:
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 17:02:24 +1100
> Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst at barrett.com.au> wrote:
>
> > been busy ... hence a late reply.
> > You're better of NOT using clamav through mimedefang, I used to do
> > that to. You find loads of info in the internet why hooking it to
> > sendmail is better.
>
> Nonsense.
>
> We use ClamAV from MIMEDefang on large systems and it works perfectly.

While I'm sure ClamAV is currently feasible for some systems I would
argue it is far from working perfectly... In fact, in a MIMEDefang
setup replicated on four reasonably busy mail servers I've found ClamAV
daemon to be the weakest link, the number one reason for mails not
passing through, mainly because of hangs in ClamAV's daemon.

And in that setup it was SpamAssassin doing all the heavy lifting,
which resulted in +90% of the incoming mail being rejected before
reaching the ClamAV filter. In the end I have disabled AV scanning
altogether at the MTA level and relied instead on an extensive list of
forbidden file extensions, SpamAssassin's scanning and desktop-level
antivirus protection. That proved enough and the number of alerts for
mail traffic jams have lowered substantially.

Just my 0.02€,

--
mișu