[Mimedefang] filter_sender, authenticated or smtp (port 25) Connections

Jobst Schmalenbach jobst at barrett.com.au
Mon Feb 20 03:26:26 EST 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 04:17:58PM +0100, Tilman Schmidt (t.schmidt at phoenixsoftware.de) wrote:

> Am 18.02.2012 06:57, schrieb Jobst Schmalenbach:
> > I have a mailserver that staff on mobile devices can use for sending email on behalf of our domain.
> > This is done using port 465, ssl and authentication.
>
> Is there any reason why you don't use the Mail Submission port 587 which
> has been designated specifically for that purpose?

Yes, a number of things.
A number of clients (this includes thunderbird and some apple clients) come by default sset to 465 so I guess that is one reason why I chose this. The other point is that port 465 is an SSL channel with SMTP inside it, so right from the start on the data is encrypted.

[root ~] #>grep smtp /etc/services
smtp            25/tcp          mail
smtp            25/udp          mail
smtps           465/tcp                         # SMTP over SSL (TLS)

But AFAIK both are correct.
Jobst

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.